Project Brand Yourself A Librarian
Getting your first 90 day layoff notice bites. There are so many things that run through your head, and sitting at the reference desk you certainly have enough time to think about them. It was during one of these self pitying “what do I do now” reference desk hours that I created the image. It was my way of saying we won’t be shushed, you can’t shut us up, we won’t stop protesting until all of our branches stay open. Then the whole thing went a little nuts, and all of a sudden I’d taught myself to screenprint, broken my mom’s dryer, andcovered the trees in my mom’s yard with tshirts. The We Will Not Be Shushed attitude and image hit a nerve with us at Queens Library, and we fought like crazy. We had 400 people show up at city hall, we stayed up all night reading in protest and we got most of our funding restored.
Now we’re facing it all again. The proposed cuts this year will bring us up to a 40% cut since 2009. Libraries in New York just can’t function with that kind of cut. But that’s ok, because our librarians are a scrappy bunch of punk ass book jockeys. We’re planning more and bigger advocacy events than last year, and we’ll get our damn funding back.
The process of getting said tattoo was kind of weird and very librariany. The artist who did it was into comics and had a passion for bad post-apocalyptic fiction, so I found myself doing readers advisory while in the chair. “You might like S.M. Stirling, ouch, Dies the Fire is really good in a sort of awful way, ouch.” A librarian’s job is never over.
Clearly, when I say we should be in a permanent state of advocacy I really mean it. I was lucky enough to create an image last year that people could be inspired by and rally around, and at least part of the reason I got the tattoo was to try to inspire myself again. To remind myself to fight for the people in our communities who can’t. To remember why we do all this. And because being a librarian has become part of who I am, and it’s going to stay that way.
Check us out at www.savenyclibraries.org. If you’re in New York on June 11th and 12th, check out the read-in. Sign all three petitions!
I’ll appreciate it, and I know that my coworkers and patrons will as well.
Thanks for the post Lauren! FYI, Lauren originally accompanied the original Project Brand Yourself a Librarian group to Jinx Proof Tattoos in Washington, DC during ALA 2010 and was there for the initial branding! -Justin
While our storm-the-panels-with-library programming hasn’t been added…yet. We have pulled together some social let’s-make-it-happen events planned for the nutty week in Austin for those librar* involved/interested/ingrained to come out and friendly.
So what’s going on?
We already “sold out” of the 100 free tickets for the librar* drinkup, had to add more tix for folks to RSVP (note – if anyone wants to sponsor a tab at the bar – we’re listening!).
Saturday, March 12th @ 6pm at the Lustre Pearl (97 Rainey St)
And SXSW Interactive respects its library contingency and is holding an official meetup (yea, it’s OFFICIAL): Librarians and Technology Meet Up.
Sunday, March 13 @ 12:30 -1:30 (noonish) at the Hilton, Room 615AB
Let’s get conversing about what tools/ pieces/and people we need to get at the table to make library stuff more amazingly awesome and less annoyingly archaically stove-piped systems.
If twitter is your thang:
THE TIME HAS COME.
BRAND YOURSELF A LIBRARIAN TODAY!
The 8BitLibrary team and YOU (well, if you want to) will be going to Jinx Proof Tattoos in Washington DC on SATURDAY JUNE 26TH at 4:30PM.
The bummer? They don’t take appointments. JP and myself will be getting tattoos and we’d love for you to be there to support us (one of us will cry, but who?) or get your own tattoo. Of course, there will be lots of pictures and video. Which leads me to this:
TAGS: Twitter: #librarytat8bit Flickr, Etc: librarytat8bit
Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 9:30pm
WHERE: RFD Washington
ADDRESS: 810 7th Street
If you support the project, please add this to your blog/wiki/facebook/myspace:
OTHER PLACES TO GET TATTOOS IN DC
1. FOR THOSE THAT WILL BE PARTICIPATING
- Organizing one massive tattooing is sort of a logistical nightmare, so instead we’re opening it up to you. (See below for details)
- We’d like to keep track of how many folks are participating, so please reply to this post or email us at justinthelibrarian at gmail dot com so we can keep track!
- We want pictures! We wants details! The official hashtag for Project Brand Yourself a Librarian will be: TWITTER: #librarytat8bit and BLOGS/FLICKR/ETC: librarytat8bit
2. PLACES TO GET TATTOOS IN DC
- Jinx Proof Tattoos PHONE: 202-337-5469
- Fatty’s Custom Tattoos PHONE: 202-452-0999
- Tattoo Paradise PHONE: 202-232-6699
- Off The Hook Tattoos PHONE: 202-581-2018
- DC Ink PHONE: 202-232-7711
These are just a sampling of the tattoo parlors in the DC area. If you’d like to go somewhere else, please feel free to do so. 8 Bit Library bloggers will only be at one of these tattoo parlors (see below).
3. DAYS TO GET TATTOOS DURING ALA ANNUAL
- What day works best for you? Well, that’s your day! Any days between June 24-29 will be good!
- Members of the 8BitLibrary team will be getting their tattoo on Saturday June 26th, 4pm at Jinx Proof Tattoo
- After our tattooing on Saturday June 26th, there will be a 8BitLibrary Party! PLACE and TIME: TBA!
4. DOES MY TATTOO HAVE TO BE LIBRARY RELATED?
- We’ve been getting this question a lot. While we are SUGGESTING that you get a library themed tattoo, you can choose to get any type of tattoo you’d like. A tattoo is a personal thing and we here at 8 Bit Library don’t want to tell you what to get on your body. Make yourself happy and get the tattoo you want!
If you have any other questions, please let me know. (Justin of 8 Bit Library)
JP and I were interviewed by the American Library Association’s YouTube Channel concerning the “Project Brand Yourself a Librarian” project. Rad stuff!
Thanks to the ALA for the interview! You can check out more videos from ALA Midwinter 2010 here on their YouTube channel