Save the Date: National Library Unconference Day ’11
- National Library Unconference Day ’11. What IS an unconference, you ask? Try out this video by Allen McGinley & I talking about our recent Remixing Libraries unconference, and check back often for more info. We’ll be posting how-to guides, videos, and tips on how to run a great unconference.
- Save the date: May 2nd, 2011, 1pm EST. More info to follow this month.
- At your library for a staff development day. Or an unconference for a regional library cooperative. Maybe something hosted at a state library? Or hosted by your state or regional library association. A great place to hold an uncon for National Library Unconference Day ’11 is at an LIS school. It’s totally up to you!
- The sage-on-the-stage lecture presentation style of a traditional conference is losing relevance in our world of immediate communication. At an unconference, the participants are the experts, and ideas grow organically. I’ve watched this video over and over, and this is exactly the type of motivating event that the speaker is talking about!
We’ll be streaming a free keynote session to all participating librarians, libraries and library organizations. Our confirmed speakers so far include:
- Michael Stephens, Assistant Professor in the Graduate School of Library and Information Science at Dominican University in River Forest, Illinois and founder of http://tametheweb.com/.
- Jaime Hammond, Reference and Serials Librarian at Naugatuck Valley Community College in Waterbury, CT., library-as-space advocate and chair of the ALA’s Emerging Leaders IG Steering Committee.
- Allen McGinley, Department Head in the Piscataway NJ Public Library, National Library Unconference Day ’11 organizer, Gaming for Children With Special Needs advocate, and leader of 8bitlibrary.com‘s #makeithappen initiative.
- JP Porcaro, aka me, founder of 8bitlibrary.com, Virtual Services librarian at New Jersey City University, and world’s self-described expert on Pokemon & libraries.
- Justin Hoenke, founder of 8BitLibrary.com, Teen Librarian at the Portland (ME) Public Library, contributor over at Tame The Web.
- Eli Neiburger, librarian in the Ann Arbor MI District Library, author of Gamers…in the Library?! The Why, What, and How of Videogame Tournaments for All Ages, Library Renewal board member, and Patron Saint of 8bitlibrary.com.
- Soon enough, we’ll have a link up for you to sign up your unconference to receive the FREE keynote lightning talks webinar. For now, mark your calendars, organize your group, and get ready to change the world. Once you sign up, we’re imaging you’d use a computer + a projector to screen the keynote to your local participants, then you’d get to your individual unconference. We’ll have a constant digital conversation on Twitter via hashtag #libuncon. And we’re hoping people share what they learned and accomplished via blog posts and youtube videos!
MARK THOSE CALENDARS NOW, and #makeithappen! signed, JP & the 8bitlibrary.com team.
This entry was posted by JP on February 4, 2011 at 12:00 am, and is filed under #makeithappen, 8BitLibrarian Allen McGinley, 8BitLibrarian JP Porcaro, 8BitLibrarian Justin Hoenke, event, programming. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0.You can leave a response or trackback from your own site.
- Tweets that mention Save the Date: National Library Unconference Day ’11 — Topsy.com
- Post-NLUD State of the Reference Desk Address | drouhard.net
- From where you’re standing « metamayhem
- Hjemmeside design
- skyrim cheats
- eating healthy diets
- PROJECT BRAND YOURSELF A LIBRARIAN: Lauren Comito
- “What was the first story you experienced?” by Devin Burritt
- Wii 2 on the way? Don’t worry.
- Video Game Collection Development (UPDATE!)
- Super Mario Brothers in the Classroom (Part 5 of 7)
- Why you should participate in #libuncon & Planning an Unconference, by Michelle Boule
- #makeithappen means taking action.
- librar*+SXSWi=awesome ____up’s
- Zukunftswerkstatt Gaming Roadshow
- 8bitlibrary+Unshelved Transcript